Saturday, January 18, 2014

Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Amazon ✦ B&N  Itunes
She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed. He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. But... they are brother and sister.

Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. 

So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.
Rating: 
Format: Paperback
Recommend: FUCK YES! 

Every once in a while, I stumble across a book that I have to beat myself up over. WHY DIDN’T I READ THIS SOONER!?
I hate that I just now discovered this book, but I’m so fucking happy that I’ve had the privilege of reading it.
Forbidden is the first book of 2014 that had me reading while simultaneously trying to hide behind my hands; which is damn near impossible to do with a paperback book!
Hollllly mind fuck
This book is tame compared to most of my reads, but it has evoked some seriously strong emotions inside of me and has definitely made me questioning myself:
Who has the right to tell you who you can and can’t love?
Forbidden tells the story of Maya and Lochan Whitley. Two people who are connected on levels that some people will never find in their lifetime. They are also two kids who have had a pretty shitty deck of cards thrown their way and have had to grow up far sooner than one ever would wish upon their children. So when they say they love each other, they truly mean that they love each other—with every fiber of their being. It’s genuine and tangible through-out the story. There’s no need for grand acts of affirmation of that love or hot steamy sex scenes. The reader can feel in their soul that these two people…these kids…understand what love is really about.

Only problem is… they’re brother and sister. 

Now, now before you roll your eyes and go on about how disgusting it is, hear me out.
I wasn’t sure about this book at first. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE taboo subjects and Flowers in the Attic is one of my all-time favorite V.C. Andrews books. But it takes a special kind of person to turn the reader from feeling wronged and disgusted to damn near distraught over the pain and suffering that these two human beings endure all because they “love” each other. Suzuma did just that, and more.

She weaved Maya and Lochan’s tale together effortlessly and this is probably one of the most beautifully written books that I have EVER read.

GOD THE FEELS! 

The feels take a direct hit when reading this tale. Hell, I’m tearing up over here just thinking about it. So do I recommend it? HELL YES! I'd even go as far as to say that this one of the more believable love stories that I've ever read. Bravo Tabitha Suzuma, you've written a masterpiece! 

-B

PS: Anyone else excited to see the re-make of Flowers in the Attic that premiers tonight on Lifetime? Ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment