Saturday, February 1, 2014

Review: Red Hill by Jamie McGuire

Amazon ✦ B&N  Itunes

When the world ends, can love survive?



For Scarlet, raising her two daughters alone makes fighting for tomorrow an everyday battle. Nathan has a wife, but can’t remember what it’s like to be in love; only his young daughter Zoe makes coming home worthwhile. Miranda’s biggest concern is whether her new VW Bug is big enough to carry her sister and their boyfriends on a weekend escape from college finals.

When reports of a widespread, deadly “outbreak” begin to surface, these ordinary people face extraordinary circumstances and suddenly their fates are intertwined. Recognizing they can’t outrun the danger, Scarlet, Nathan, and Miranda desperately seek shelter at the same secluded ranch, Red Hill. Emotions run high while old and new relationships are tested in the face of a terrifying enemy—an enemy who no longer remembers what it’s like to be human.

Set against the backdrop of a brilliantly realized apocalyptic world, love somehow finds a way to survive. But what happens when the one you’d die for becomes the one who could destroy you?

Rating: 
Format: Paperback
Recommend: If you're a zombie lover, sure. 


It's not a shocker that I adore anything and everything zombie related. My fixation with the undead started many moons ago when I saw Pet Cemetery for the first time.

Red Hill had the perfect mix of suspense and uncertainty that many zombie novels and movies highlight, but there where a few things that I (personally) had issues with.

1. The romance wasn't needed. It just didn't work for me. Mostly because it came out of no where and then as the book started to wrap up, it actually made me dislike one of the heroines.
Scarlet and Nathan
2. Too many things were going on at once. I loved seeing the POV of three different characters, BUT I feel like it caused the author to forget about previous story lines that were introduced at the beginning of the book. By the end of the book I guess it didn't really matter because shit hit the fan anyways, but I think this book would have been much better if the story lines and pov's were condensed or elaborated on.

3. The ending. It wasn't good at all. I didn't go in to this book thinking that everyone would get a HEA. I know better than to hope for that when dealing with post apocalyptic, but the ending, ugh it wasn't believable at all. I mean really, you're going to stay on a farm in the middle of no where instead of going to where all of the other humans are?
Miranda and Bryce
I think over all the plot of this book was on point and unique, but the execution failed. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the worst thing I've ever read, but I did expect more from the author.

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment