Monday, August 5, 2013

Review: True Love Story by Willow Asher







I normally do not go out of my way to write reviews for books (well that’s a lie now I spose!), but I’m learning that authors really do appreciate it when you take a few minutes out of your life to give them feedback.


So…let’s do this.




First off, I didn't read the excerpt of True Love Story that's located in the back of Dirty Red. I'm glad I didn't either. Dirty Red had me so messed up in the head that I don't think I could have handled another mind fuck of a book to process right afterwards. 



Then it comes out and EVERYONE has something to say. Some love it and others are up in arms about the cheating that takes place.

Yes, there is cheating. 





I'm an angst whore; I expected it, but some people seem really pissed off over it. I won't get into that but if you can't take the heat get outta the kitchen because shit got real in this book.


Speaking of real (you're going to here this a lot btw)




Sparrow was real to me. I felt like she grew from a small town, sheltered girl into a mature and experienced woman during the story.

I also felt like her life experience was TRUE. Which seemed to be running theme for me through out the book. 




Ian. 




You bastard. 




You beautiful bastard. 




I tried to hate him. I really did, but in the end I was pulling for him to win Sparrow back over. 




Hear me out before you sic the pitch forks on me.




Did he mess up. YES. 

Did it rock me to the core. YES. 

Did he really feel regret over his actions and was remorseful. YES.




I can't hold a grudge over that. 




It's True Love for a reason. You love that person no matter what their faults are. That doesn't mean you have to be with said person or forgive them, but if you can find it in your heart to do it then more power to you.




I'll admit when I got to THAT part of the book I felt like this

I knew it was going to happen and I had a feeling about one of the 'other women', but man at the time and place it happened it just hit me hard.
I. Wanted. To. Strangle. Him. 
Yet again, a fictional character has me giving side eye to my own husband because I wanted to murrrddder Ian and all men for being bastards. 
I even had to put the book down for a minute and take a deep breath because even thinking about being in Sparrow's shoes almost set me off into a panic attack. That's how you know when an Author is good. You start living and feeling the things that the main character is going through without even realizing until THAT moment gets you. It fucking hurts haha not going to lie but oh it feels so damn good! 

The things that happen after the big revelation is what made me give this book 5 BIG STARS and inspired me to write a review.
Real. 
There's that word again but it felt REAL. I could totally see this happening in real life as opposed to some of the other situations I've seen main characters go through.



I felt Ian's remorse and Sparrow's pain. I hated him for a bit and I wanted to scratch out "the other woman's" eyes for Sparrow. (Not going to lie I wanted there to be an epic cat fight. lol Next time beat that bitch's ass!) 




Ian's letters to Sparrow threw me off at first, but I think they added some depth and humanity to him. He was messed up. Literally messed up and yeah his actions weren't the best but dude was legitimately sorry and was hurting BAD. 




I'm also happy that she didn't take him back right away. It kept me on edge debating if she was going to forgive him up until the final chapter.


The resolution was perfect. Just perfect and even though I didn't say anything about her in this review. Sparrow's bff, Tessa, was the shit! I dream of having a bff like her one day! Her decision to support Sparrow in her choice of what to do with Ian is what makes a TRUE friend. She was an excellent supporting character through out the novel. 



As for the epilogue... it was icing on the cake. I felt complete after I finished the book. Which is nice because some times it just sucks being left with a vague cliff hanger. True Love Story is in fact a TRUE Love Story. The characters are flawed, their love is flawed, but in the end it's perfection!




Willow Aster Congratulations on a kick ass first novel! I look forward to reading many more of your books!



-B

No comments:

Post a Comment